Finding a Job
The top companies to work for - Many of them are hiring
If you are looking for a job, or looking to change jobs, there are plenty of companies in Fortune's top 100 that offer desirable positions and best of all, most of them are hiring.
Fortune magazine's 17th annual list of the 100 best companies to work for has just been released and for the fifth time perks heavy Google is tops. Combing the list, job seekers will note everything from tech companies with fitness centers, play areas, and gymnasiums to more traditional employers with amazing health care plans and attractive starting pay as well.
Even better many of them are recognized GajGal Top mom friendly companies.
The top companies, overall, are:
1. Google Mountain View, Calif. -- With stock priced north of $1,100, Google is attractive to employees as well as investors. That's because all Google employees are also shareholders. The company also appeals to the philanthropic streak in its workers by donating $50 for every five hours an employee volunteers.
2. SAS, Cary, N.C. -- This software developer features an on-site health center, which the company also makes available to family members. The facility is not merely a room with a nurse and a blood pressure monitor either. The SAS health center features 53 medical and support staff, including nurses, doctors, registered dietitians, lab techs, a psychologist, and three physical therapists.
3. The Boston Consulting Group, Boston, Mass. -- Strategy consultant BCG celebrated 50 years in business last year by giving each employee a special interactive desk sculpture. The company is well-known for exceptional employee compensation and an aggressive recruiting process.
4. Edward Jones, St. Louis, Mo. -- Edward Jones is the fourth-largest financial services firm in the U.S. The company's 3,000 new hires last year joined a network of employees known for their longevity with Jones. With turnover of only 8 percent, the company is obviously doing something right.
5. Quicken Loans, Detroit, Mich. -- This high profile mortgage lender is hiring, almost with a vengeance. One unusual incentive offered by Quicken recently included $20,000 in forgivable home loans to employees willing to move to the city of Detroit.
Speaking of job openings, the leaders in that area include No. 78, Ernst & Young, with 16,500 current job openings (see GajGal vetted consulting possitions); No. 61, Deloitte, with 12,000 jobs available; and No. 84, Intel, which has 7,000 slots to fill.
The bottom line is this: No matter what your area of expertise, there are companies who are hiring right now, who offer a work environment, benefits, and salary anyone would be happy to have.
Check out the entire Fortune Magazine Top 100 Best Employers list here.
Be the first to add your comments
Comment on this article
Login to submit a comment
What we offer
GajGal is an expanding community of mothers helping mothers. Our motto “Get a Job | Get a Life” is based on the belief that for mothers wanting to get back into the workforce, finding a job with “the right level” of flexibility, empowers working mothers to live life on their own terms and better control their own destiny.
GajGal aims to address this “new reality” through four core components:
- 1. Job Search and Matching tools to streamline finding the perfect fit for flexible work arrangements.
- 2. Access to Benefits that in the traditional work environment have been provided by full time employers. GajGal helps to provide a critical mass of members to ensure access to a range of benefits options that we are continually working to expand and improve on.
- 3. Working Mother Community to provide access to news, blogs and articles of interest and importance to working mothers and a social networking community that working mothers can interact with and draw on for support.
- 4. The Entrepreneur Zone is for mothers aiming to start their own business and expand on the concepts of working mothers helping working mothers succeed.
“Using your Benefits link made it easy to select from a wide range of health insurance offerings and narrow down the various plans available that best fit my needs. Being able to make a side by side comparison of the details further helped me make an informed decision on a plan with great rates. The application is swift and uncomplicated”
“ WOW this is a fantastic idea aimed at a true need. I have had a hard time preparing to go back to work after staying home with my two kids for the past 4 years. I am so excited to start adding my requirements and get started on the search. The Latest News and Benefits are an excellent idea. I would come here to read this even if I wasn't looking for a job right now”