Finding a Job
What Kevin Spacey can teach you about finding your next job
Kevin Spacey is an actor whose remarkable versatility has often been described as chameleon-like. Spacey has made an art of portraying a gallery of morally ambiguous characters ranging from the mildly shady to the all-out murderous. His reputation as one of the best-respected actors of his generation was bolstered by an Oscar, a Tony, and an award as Best Actor of the Decade from England's Empire magazine in 1999.
But the actor, who was Emmy-nominated for his leading role in Netflix's "House of Cards", is still hoping to get cast in a Woody Allen movie.
In an interview for GQ's "Men of the Year" issue, Spacey explains: "I believe this: If an actor wants a role or wants to work with somebody, then you do everything within reason to try to get that role. If they want you to audition, you audition. If they want you to screen-test, you screen-test. If they want you to come and tap-dance in their hallway, you tap-dance in their hallway."
So Spacey decided to take matters into his own hands."I wrote him a letter and introduced myself as an actor he may or may not know. And I sent him a Netflix subscription, because I want him to watch my work."
Spacey's plea didn't do unanswered. He tells GQ that Allen wrote him back "an absolutely wonderful letter" to let him know he is "in contention for things in the future." And yes! he thanked him for the Netflix subscription
Kevin Spacey's Emmy nominated role as ruthless, conniving Majority Whip Frank Underwood in Netflix's "House of Cards" prompted the question "is he particularly good at playing villains?" The actors response "'I'm just f------ happy to have a great job,'" he said. "I think people love it when anybody acts bad; it's not particular to me.'
So what's the lesson for you in your job search?
We see two key messages:
1. Nobody is too important or high and mighty to have to get out there and fight for their next role.
2. If you want to get noticed and stand out from the pack you're going to have to get creative.
Now get out there
Be the first to add your comments
Comment on this article
Login to submit a comment
What we offer
GajGal is an expanding community of mothers helping mothers. Our motto “Get a Job | Get a Life” is based on the belief that for mothers wanting to get back into the workforce, finding a job with “the right level” of flexibility, empowers working mothers to live life on their own terms and better control their own destiny.
GajGal aims to address this “new reality” through four core components:
- 1. Job Search and Matching tools to streamline finding the perfect fit for flexible work arrangements.
- 2. Access to Benefits that in the traditional work environment have been provided by full time employers. GajGal helps to provide a critical mass of members to ensure access to a range of benefits options that we are continually working to expand and improve on.
- 3. Working Mother Community to provide access to news, blogs and articles of interest and importance to working mothers and a social networking community that working mothers can interact with and draw on for support.
- 4. The Entrepreneur Zone is for mothers aiming to start their own business and expand on the concepts of working mothers helping working mothers succeed.
“Using your Benefits link made it easy to select from a wide range of health insurance offerings and narrow down the various plans available that best fit my needs. Being able to make a side by side comparison of the details further helped me make an informed decision on a plan with great rates. The application is swift and uncomplicated”
“ WOW this is a fantastic idea aimed at a true need. I have had a hard time preparing to go back to work after staying home with my two kids for the past 4 years. I am so excited to start adding my requirements and get started on the search. The Latest News and Benefits are an excellent idea. I would come here to read this even if I wasn't looking for a job right now”