One Pot Pilaf: Arroz con Pollo
Arroz con pollo, or rice with chicken in Spanish, is never called chicken with rice. That’s because the dish really focuses on the savory seasoned yellow rice—the chicken is just a nice add-on. In Latin American dishes like this one, the flavor comes from the sofrito, a mixture of aromatic vegetables and spices that cooks down until it’s concentrated and almost sauce-like, which then seeps into the rice and the chicken as they cook all together in one pot.
1. Prepare your ingredients: Wash and dry the fresh produce. Peel and slice the garlic. Peel and small dice the carrot and onion. Small dice the cubanelle pepper. Finely chop the oregano and parsley leaves. Pit and roughly chop the olives. Shell the peas.
2. Cook the chicken: Pat the chicken dry with paper towels and season all over with salt and pepper. In a large pot, heat a little olive oil on medium until hot. Add the chicken, skin side down, and cook 9 to 11 minutes per side, or until browned. Transfer the cooked chicken to a plate.
3. Cook the vegetables: In the same pot used for the chicken, increase the heat to high. Add the onion, carrot, cubanelle pepper, and garlic. Cook 1 to 2 minutes, or until slightly softened, stirring. Add the turmeric, paprika, roasted chicken demiglace, and tomato paste. Stir until combined for about 30 seconds.
4. Add the rice & simmer: Stir in 1¼ cups of water and the rice until combined. Heat the mixture to boiling on high, then place the chicken in the pot skin side up. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer 15 minutes. Uncover to quickly add the peas, olives, oregano, and capers. Cover again, and simmer about 5 minutes longer, or until the rice is cooked through and all the liquid is absorbed.
5. Finish the dish: Place the rice and chicken on plates. Garnish with the parsley. Enjoy!
Be the first to add your comments
Comment on this article
Login to submit a comment
What we offer
GajGal is an expanding community of mothers helping mothers. Our motto “Get a Job | Get a Life” is based on the belief that for mothers wanting to get back into the workforce, finding a job with “the right level” of flexibility, empowers working mothers to live life on their own terms and better control their own destiny.
GajGal aims to address this “new reality” through four core components:
- 1. Job Search and Matching tools to streamline finding the perfect fit for flexible work arrangements.
- 2. Access to Benefits that in the traditional work environment have been provided by full time employers. GajGal helps to provide a critical mass of members to ensure access to a range of benefits options that we are continually working to expand and improve on.
- 3. Working Mother Community to provide access to news, blogs and articles of interest and importance to working mothers and a social networking community that working mothers can interact with and draw on for support.
- 4. The Entrepreneur Zone is for mothers aiming to start their own business and expand on the concepts of working mothers helping working mothers succeed.
“Using your Benefits link made it easy to select from a wide range of health insurance offerings and narrow down the various plans available that best fit my needs. Being able to make a side by side comparison of the details further helped me make an informed decision on a plan with great rates. The application is swift and uncomplicated”
“ WOW this is a fantastic idea aimed at a true need. I have had a hard time preparing to go back to work after staying home with my two kids for the past 4 years. I am so excited to start adding my requirements and get started on the search. The Latest News and Benefits are an excellent idea. I would come here to read this even if I wasn't looking for a job right now”